This past Saturday, I had the opportunity to make 3d scanned portraits of two young couples from Staten Island. It was very sweet to see young love at work. I’m quite pleased with these scans and will be printing them today. They were young but the girls were hopeful about them one day being used as a wedding cake topper!
Last Spring, my friend and Julliard Propmaster Kate Dale had me scan one of their actors for a production of Richard III. The character Hastings is beheaded in the play and they used the Julliard CNC machine to create his head in foam from a 3D scan that I made of him. I was recently up at the prop shop and was able to see the end result. I thought it would be cool to share some process shots here.
Yesterday I posted about my experiments with “lost PLA” casting to make a cast glass object from a 3D printed digital design.
Today the oven cooled and I was able to remove them from the plaster silica molds. I’m quite pleased with the results. They could use some cold working to grind and polish them, but it’s an excellent proof of concept for this as an efficient and speedy workflow to quickly move from digital designs to physical object in any castable material including glass and metal.
Some shots of disinvestment and the final objects. The castings were very clean!
Greetings from beautiful Millville NJ! I’m down here for a few days at Wheaton Arts’ Creative Glass Center of America, where I had an artist in residency way back in 1992. My friends Jim Harmon and Hank Adams invited me down to prototype a workflow for taking digital 3D designs to glass objects. Take a look and see what I’ve been up to!
We are soaked the oven at annealing temperatures of 900° and 720° on the way down. Hopefully the pieces will be cool enough to remove from the oven before I leave tomorrow! Stay tuned to see how the castings come out- I can hardly wait to see myself!
UPDATE: See how everything came out here: http://thegreatfredini.com/2014/07/26/pla-perdue-part-two/
At the Mermaid Parade this year, I had the opportunity to 3D scan Kate Dale, the “Pink Poodle Lady”. Last week Kate called me and invited me up to Julliard (where she is the prop master), to 3D scan her entire float before it had to be dismantled. I tried several times to use the Sense scanner to capture it, but the scan wasn’t quite ideal. For example, the fish Phinn’s scales were not showing up and there were a number of seams. It would have been a lot of zbrushing to fix it. So I pulled out my iPhone and used 123dCatch. The results are great! I may pull out the Sense scans and use some details from them to add further embellishments- for example the clamshell footlights, but really I’m quite pleased with the result!
My friends Thea and Justin were married yesterday. It was a wonderful event. My gift to them was a Scan-A-Rama 3D printed wedding cake topper of themselves. It looked beautiful on top of the cake. It’s not the first one of these I’ve done but it was the first one I’ve been to the actual wedding to see. Congrats to Thea and Justin!